Sunday, April 4, 2010

A little bit about me

Not another running blog. I know, I know, all the world needs is another running blog. But I'm beginning to think, sometimes, that a blog just may mean more to the blogger than to his or her readers. Sort of like a diary that you leave lying around in case someone wants to look. Writing has its therapeutic effects, even if no one else ever reads what is written.

That being said, what is Running my Ashe Off all about? Mainly, it is my online training diary. It started on facebook with my writing about my training for the 2009 Boston Marathon and my goal of breaking 3 hours in the marathon (3:01:27 is my PR). But it turned into more than just how many miles I ran and at what pace. It also became a place to reflect on lessons for life that come from running and racing.

So who am I? I began running in 1980, doing the mile and half-mile at Independence Jr. High. Currently, I am just returning to running after a 6 month "forced break" due to twin pelvic stress fractures that occured during my training for the 2009 Marine Corps Marathon (more about my history of running will come in later entries). For someone who was used to running 40-50 miles per week at a 6:50 pace, I am now thankful to be plodding out 12-15 miles at a 9:30 - 10:00 pace.

I will close by reflecting on an article I read in Blue Ridge Magazine by Dane Rauschenberg (he ran 52 marathons in 2006, one each weekend, to raise money for charity). He commented how some runners complain that they "have" to do a run. The better attitude is to be grateful that you "get" to run. I don't know whether I took running for granted before getting injured. But I know now that I am so thankful that I "get" to run 3 miles.

And that applies to more than just running, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment