Sunday, October 17, 2010

Gratitude

October 1st marked the one year date from when I got my first of two pelvic stress fractures. For better or for worse, my running life will never be the same. For better, as I've discovered triathlons and multi-sporting, I've (hopefully) learned to train smarter, I appreciate running more and no longer take it for granted that I can run. For worse, every twitch in the lower abdomen makes me wonder am I getting re-injured. Will I ever be able to run as fast? Will a sub-3 hour marathon forever escape me?


Anyhow, I marked the day with a 6.11 mile run in the woods at a 7:57 pace. Not bad.

Am I 100% recovered from the stress fractures? Who knows. But I do want to express some gratitude. To an inanimate object. I am forever grateful to the JCC pool and steam room. I logged countless laps last winter in the pool when I could not run. Always followed by a nice steam in the steam room. I certainly credit staying in shape because of the pool. It also helped with my sanity!!

I am 1 week out from the Army 10 miler -- my return to road racing. Not sure what my goal is. Run sub-70 (sub 7 min mile)? Maybe just finish? We'll see...



.

No comments:

Post a Comment