Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Training Update


Howdy sports fans, with the spring marathon season behind me, it's time for the summer triathlon season (followed closely by the fall marathon season).  Next up -- Eagleman 70.3 (half ironman) on June 12 and Rocketts Landing olympic distance triathlon on July 24.

Last weekend, we went to Bethany Beach, so I was able to finally get some serious bike training in.  On Saturday, Jordana and I did a wonderful 14 miler.  The half-way point was near some new-build houses along the Indian River, and I got to experience something I've never experienced before in my life (at least, I don't think I have).  We both had to relieve ourselves - Jordana found a port-a-john at one construction site and I ran back to lots to another port-a-john.  When I entered, it smelled....clean.  Yep - a freshly-filled, totally unused port-a-john.  They are actually quite pleasant when you are the first one to use it.

On Sunday, I took my bike out for a 40 mile ride (from Bethany to the Maryland state line then back up to Dewey then back to Bethany).  I had installed a set of aero-bars on my bike and was eager to test them.  I tried using them when on the rollers (did I mention, I bought rollers to do indoor bike training?) but lost control and went over into the doorway (most newbies set up their rollers in a doorway to help maintain balance).  My elbow was sore for a week.  Anyhow, on the road, I felt quite comfortable using the aerobars.  I'm hoping that they will help my bike performance when I race.  Anyhow, I maintained a pretty good clip (about 19 mph) on the bike, so I'm feeling more confident.  Afterwards, I did a 4 mile run and managed to maintain a sub-7 pace.  So I'm feeling pretty optimistic about Eagleman.

More on the rollers (I can't remember if I mentioned them in my last post and am too lazy to check).  I got them about 2 months ago because I sometimes feel uncomfortable riding along River Road -- even in the early morning, there are a lot of cars going really fast and no dedicated bike lanes.  Rollers, unlike a trainer, are sort of like a treadmill for your bike.  One roller up front and two rollers in back, with a belt connecting them.  You balance your bike on the rollers and can mimic riding on the road.  Some compare it to riding on the ice.  It's a bit tricky maintaining balance at first, so I keep them in a doorway so I can support myself if I start to tip over (remember, you're clipped in to the pedals).  My rollers are flared at the edges to help keep the bike from rolling off the rollers.  Although two weekends ago I tried using the aerobars and somehow lost control and the front tire hopped off the roller.  I crashed into the side of the door way.  Ouch.  But other than that, I like them.  Although it can be a bit rough on the butt -- in addition to being unable to use the aerobars without losing control, I do not seem able (yet) to get into a standing position without losing control (bikers will sometimes stand in the pedals to relieve an aching butt -- or at least this biker does).  So I can only take about 30 - 45 minutes at a time on the bike.

On the swimming front, I have not consistently gotten out of a once a week swim pattern -- basically, my weekly masters swim (we swim about 3200 meters).  I really need to get some more long swims in before June 12.  I did a 2 miler two weekends ago, but I need some more.  I also bought a tri-shirt and I need to take a swim or two in that shirt to get used to it.  Maybe this weekend.

Now to running -- my favorite sport.  I had a great May: PR at Potomac River Marathon.  I ran 22 days (71% of the time) for a total of 187.6 miles.  My year to date mileage is 1004.92!  Yep - I cracked over 1,000 miles running and there are still 7 months to go in 2011 -- I am definitely on track to set a mileage record this year.  In five months, I have run more than I did in all of 2003 or 2005.  If I run 43 more miles, I will have run more than I did in all of 2004 or 2010.  I've run 112 days this year (74%) and my average run length is 9.0 miles.  So I am definitely back in the running saddle.

The week after Eagleman, I start XMP (Montgomery County Road Runners experienced marathon program) to train for Marine Corps Marathon in October and the Rehoboth Marathon (I think) in December.  I am very much looking forward to doing XMP.  This is the last program that Jordana has done that I have not (I did Boston Bound last spring).  I like having the shared mutual experiences.  Meanwhile, she is a coach with MCRRC's First Time Marathon (FTM) program AND she is the girls cross country coach at Rockville High School.  I am very excited and proud of her coaching and can't wait to see how her girls do this season.

Anyhow, time to run...

No comments:

Post a Comment