Friday, September 9, 2011

מפעיל את אש שלי

That's "Running My Ashe Off" in Hebrew!

I thought that in this note I would briefly share my experiences running in Israel.  My family and I spent a wonderful 2 weeks in Israel this past August (a travelogue is forthcoming!) and, of course, I could not let 2 weeks go by with no running.

My Israeli running saga actually began several months before.  Knowing I would be overseas for two weeks and knowing that I could not go without my endorphin fix for that long (hey, there are worse addictions than running, my friends), I began researching running Israel and, specifically, running in Jerusalem.  I located several Jerusalem-based running clubs and (thank you Google-Translate) was able to identify contact persons.  Several email exchanges later, I had a number of running route options.

Our rental house in Jerusalem was on Ein Rogel in the Abu Tor neighborhood.  The most promising running routes I was given was in a nearby park, called Sacher Park.  I got onto Google Maps and traced out the quickest way to get there.

Our first morning in Jerusalem (we had arrived the previous afternoon), Jordana and I set out on our first Israeli run.  With our garmins fully charged and a printout of the running routes folded up in my pocket, we headed out in the early morning.  The air was quite cool and there was little to no humidity -- pleasant relief from the 90 degree/90 percent humidity conditions of Washington, DC in early August!!

Our route was as follows:  We headed west up Ein Rogel (east led to the Green Line and we did NOT want to go that way) a short bit, crossed over Derech Hevron, at which point the street changes names to David Remez Street.  (Note on street crossing:  no one, and I mean no one, crosses against the lights in Jerusalem.  Those drivers are crazy!!)  Anyhow, David Remez does a sharp right turn and passes the Old Jerusalem Train Station (opened in 1892 it was the terminus of the Jaffa-Jerusalem line, it closed in 1998 and has remained vacant since).  David Remez ends at Keren HaYesod and we turn right up Keren HaYesod.  This is a steady uphill run that passes the lovely little Liberty Bell Park and the famous King Solomon and Dan Panorama Hotels.  We then turn left on Ramban Street -- a small residential street with lots of cross-street curbs (ups and downs).  Ramban Street ends at Derech Ruppin, where we cross the street then enter Giv'at Klor Garden and run along the running path.  This path is a steep downhill switchback path that takes us down the hillside, under a major highway (Sderot Hayim Hazaz) and into Sacher Park proper.  Distance so far, about 1.5 miles.

Once inside the park, we would run along its pathways.  Heading south, we run past the Monastery of the Cross (an 11th century monastery built on the site of an earlier monastery supposedly built by Queen Helena, mother of Constantine the Great, on the site where the tree that was used to make Jesus' cross was located).  Heading north the paths take us just east of the Knesset and the Israeli Supreme Court building.  We also passed a large tent city, where scores of 20-somethings are "protesting" the high cost of living in Israel  (it looked more like camping to me, there were large dining flies erected underwhich the "protesters" lounged on couches and loveseats, TVs were hooked up to portable generators...).  The Park itself has its ups and downs on the terrain.

Our usual route, after making a circuit of Sacher Park, was to take a side trail out of the Park onto Derech Ruppin.  We ran past the Knesset Building and the Israeli Museum, where we would turn left onto Sderot Ha'Muze'onim and to the Hebrew University Stadium complex, where we would run a couple of miles around the track.  Then do the course in reverse back to our house.

That was our staple course.  We usually ran about 8 or so miles in total.  Sometimes, we ran a bit more by running into and around the Hebrew University campus.  We tried a 16 mile circuit run once (where you stay on Derech Ruppin until it hits Sderot Herzl, turn South, and make a big loop), we got about halfway around when we got a bit lost and turned around and headed back the way we came.  Part of the problem is that, outside of the track, there is hardly any FLAT ground to run on in Jerusalem.  You are either running up or running down a hill, and some are quite steep!

Towards the end of our stay in Jerusalem we stumbled upon a linear trail, a converted rails-to-trail on the old Jaffa-Jerusalem rail line.  Only 1 mile had been built, but we'd do some up and backs on that.  Once we took that trail to its southern end at General Koenig Street, turned east on Daniel Yanovski Street, and made our way to the Ha'as Promenade -- with its spectacular views of the Old City (and then ran back).

When we headed up to the resort at Kibbutz Nof Ginosar, the temperature was much hotter but the terrain much flatter.  We took the little 1 km walking path from the hotel to the main highway, and then crossed the street and entered the banana fields.  Some of the sweetest smelling running I've ever done!  We just ran along the dirt roads that ran among the banana plants, doing one or two loops to get out mileage in (although we were typically just running for time).



All in all, some great running.  I never got in a 20 miler -- the most I did was 16 miles (which included 2 miles running around the Hebrew University track).  But did run a steady diet of 8 - 10 milers.  All in all, we ran just shy of 90 miles over our 2 week trip.  In addition to a full day of touring that usually followed our runs.
And, we got to see more of the country than had we either (1) not run and just toured or (2) run only on a treadmill at the nearby hotel.  It made me regret all the times I ran on the treadmill when I was on business travel.  From now on, and to the extent that it's safe, I will try to venture outside for my runs and explore the cities were I travel.

So there it is, running in Israel.  If you ever go there, let me know and I can give you more specific details as to running routes (had we access to a car, there were some great trail runs about 20 minutes South of Jerusalem).

Next up?  Parks Half Marathon...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, enjoyed your post, Greg. I'll be in Jerusalem for a month and need to get in at least 5 runs a week just to maintain. I live in FL and hate hills. Matter of fact, Boston kills me!! I'm not sure I'll be able to avoid them in J-lem, anymore than the altitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we will be in jerusalem from july 5 to the 17. my husband and i would love some running routes! for the first five days we are at the leonardo plaza and for the last week we are renting an apt in the rechavia section of jerusalem. I would be running most likely no more than 6-8 miles, my husband would be looking for longer routes. your post was wonderful. we are very excited. you can email me at michele@adoptionstar.com

    ReplyDelete