Thursday, April 11, 2013

Gettin' Ready for Boston

Howdy sports fans, it's been a while.  Thought I'd drop a brief note in advance of this Monday's Boston Marathon.

My last marathon was May 2012 (not my best performance either).  I'm starting to wonder if maybe I overdid things in 2011 -- highest mileage year evah, lots of races (4 marathons, one half ironman, two olympic triathlons, half marathon) -- and things caught up to me last summer.  Hmmmm, something to think about.

Meanwhile, the training has been going well.  As I mentioned previously, I've been doing a very conservative return to running.  Starting in early December, I've been slowly building back my base and my mileage.  I'll worry about speed later.  I went from 3 miles 3 times a week to a weekly base of 6 miles 4 times a week + long run.  And my long run schedule has been a very conservative build up of 2 additional miles per long run: I started out with a 6 mile "long" run, then 8, then 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, and yes one 20 miler, then back to 16 and then 10 this past Sunday.  I haven't run more than about 45 miles max per week.  And as I said, forget about speedwork: at best, I've done a few low 7's "tempo" runs.  I think I may have done one run sub 7.  But no true speedwork.  My goal, of course, is just to start and finish Boston on Monday.

When I started my long run progression, I'd like to say that my pubic area was A-OK.  But there was still some low level soreness.  Nothing sharp or debilitating.  Sort of a mild dull ache -- the kind of pressury ache you feel when you have to urinate and are holding it in.  It would either go away after a few miles, or I just got used to it.  BUT, my final 16 miler and definitely the 10 miler I ran last Sunday actually felt good.  I don't think (or can't remember) feeling that dull ache.  I'm not going to press my luck on that.

I think the bone stimulator I've been using every night is finally paying off.  At my last orthopedist visit, he prescribed a bone stimulator.  It's a small ultrasound transponder (about the size of half-dollar) that I place over the pubic symphysis for 20 minutes.  According to the Exogen website, 20 minutes of ultrasound a day helps accelerate the healing of bone related injuries.  So there you have it.

Anyhoo, Boston is Monday.  What are my goals?  My primary goal is simply to start and finish the race under my own power.  I'm hopeful I've done enough training to accomplish that.  To be honest, I've probably put in about as much mileage as I did before I started doing XMP or Boston Bound with MCRRC -- and I finished several marathons in decent time training at low mileage.  So I'm mostly confident that I'll achieve the goal of finishing.

My next goal is to not run my slowest marathon.  That means running faster than I did in the 2004 Boston Marathon.  That year (when they still had the noon start) it was in the upper 80s near 90 at the start and only got hotter.  I ran a 3:45.  So, I'd like to run at least a 3:44 if not faster.

My last goal is to run a BQ (i.e., a Boston qualifying time).  Ahhh the advantages of age -- as a 47 year old male, I need to run a 3:25 to qualify for Boston.  That's about 25 minutes slower than I was doing pre-2nd injury, which translates to about 1 minute per mile slower pace.  I put this as my last goal because, frankly, I'm not sure if I can do it.  That translates to a 7:49 pace.  True, I've been doing my long runs at about 8:15 pace; but I'm just not sure.  My plan is to see how long I can keep that pace, but I am fully prepared to slow it down if things start feeling sore.

Indeed, I plan to bring a small camera and take pictures and video along the course.  Make a sort of race diary.  As much as I love the Boston Marathon, this course has kicked my ass every time I've run it (visited the medical tent 2 out 3 times I've run it -- 4th times a charm?)  And it's not cheap -- luckily we had a bunch of credit card points so Jordana and I could fly out and stay for free.  Soooo, I'm not sure how often or when I intend to come back.  I want to make the most of this one.  Hell, I might even kiss some of the Wellesley co-eds!


Anyhow, sports fans, there you have it.  I'll probably post more from Boston.  Until then....GO NATS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment