Thursday, June 3, 2010

Triathlon Training Schedule

To the extent anyone is interested, I thought I'd briefly summarize my triathlon training program.  I put this together based on (1) several triathlon, swimming, and running books my wife purchased, (2) review of online training programs, and (3) most importantly, what fits my schedule.  Note:  at heart, I am a runner so the schedule emphasizes running.  Plus, from what my brother tells me (and he used to race tri's as part of the Marine Corps triathlon team when he was stationed at Camp Pendleton), triathlons are won or lost in the running portion of the race.

Anyhow, here is my schedule:
Monday:  Run & Swim (1 mile) (PM)
Tuesday: Bike (45 minutes)
Wednesday: Run
Thursday: Bike (45 minutes)(AM)  Masters Swim (about 2 miles)(PM)
Friday: Run
Saturday: Swim (2 miles)
Sunday: Run

For the run, I am working up so that the Monday, Wednesday, and Friday runs are 6 miles and Sunday is the long run.  As far as pace goes when I get to that mileage, Monday will be easy/recovery, Wednesday will be speed/tempo, Friday will be marathon pace, and Sunday will be long steady distance pace.

I also plan to add a third bike session by doing bricks on Saturday or Sunday -- most likely a Bike/Run brick on Sunday, although I may occasionally do the swim/bike brick on Saturday.  In either case, I would most likely do 60 minutes or so on the bike.

Of course, having never done a triathlon I'm not sure how this will work.  Anyone in tri-world care to comment?

No comments:

Post a Comment