Monday, May 31, 2010

Weekly training summary May 30, 2010

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but I had the best training week!!  I'll start with the best part -- I got to train with my wife this weekend at Bethany Beach (thanks to her folks for watching the kids).  On Saturday morning, she was scheduled for a 14 miler and me a 4 miler -- so she went out and back 5 miles and then we went out and back 2 miles (plus a mile of walking after getting coffee - her not me, I'm a tea-man).  Sunday morning, we hit the pool: me 2 miles (66 laps), her 45 laps.  Monday, we ran 6 miles together.  It was some of the best training I've done in a long long time.

Meanwhile, this past week was my first week of my build-up the mileage phase in running.  Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday were 4 milers, for a total of 16.74 miles this week.  I know I shouldn't have, but on Wednesday I experimented with some speed -- basically, I did not check my pace and found that, without too much effort and no residual after-pain in the pelvic region, I did my 4.24 miles at a 7:07 pace.  On Friday, I did it again at a 7:46 pace.  So that made me totally psyched --- I can still run a decent pace!

On the swimming front, I got in a decent 5 miles of swimming -- 1600 meters on Monday, 2 miles on Sunday, and 2 miles at masters swim on Thursday.  Here was our workout: 300 warm up. 4 x 75m (25 kick, 25 pull, 25 stroke); 100 easy; 2 x (200m, 150m, 100m, 50m); 100 easy; 3 x (100 m, 75m, 50m, 25m); 100 easy; 4 x 100m kick; 6 x 50m = 3300.  I spoke with the coach and asked if I could move down a lane (from lane 4 to 3).  What a difference that made!  I actually felt good about my swimming, was keeping up with everyone in the lane, and felt a part of the group.  So lane 3 it is for me.

On a side note, on the way to and from Bethany Beach, I took a quick peak at the where I'll be swimming.  1/2 mile out and back from the Kent Island side of the Bay Bridge is a LONG way. 

 What was I thinking?  Next  year, though, I'd like to try the whole 4.4 Chesapeake Bay Swim.

On the biking front, I've sort of settled into a groove:  45 minutes on Tuesday morning and 30 minutes on Thursday morning.  If I only didn't have to wake up so early.  Yikes (5:15 on Tue and 5:30 on Thur).  My road bike should be out of the shop this week, so on Sunday I'm hoping to try a brick -- bike then run.  Will keep you posted on that.

So, in a nutshell it was an awesome week on a variety of fronts:  I got to train with my wife which was the best.  I did two 4 milers at a sub-8 pace (one near 7).  And I finally found a masters swim lane that is comfortable.

Hope this next week is as good...

No comments:

Post a Comment