Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Training Updates - January and February 2011

After an 8 year hiatus in group training, I'm participating in the Boston Bound Spring Marathon Training program. (As I mentioned, Jordana normally has done either a spring or fall marathon training program, but has decided to give coaching a try and is a pace coach for the MCRRC spring half marathon training program -- since their long run/track days are different from Boston Bound's, it allows me to try the group training). First off, I really like running in a group. I think I've been solo training for so long I forgot how much fun it can be to run in a group. To listen to eveyone's stories. To push each other when you're feeling tired. And to keep each other in check on those long runs when the pace starts drifting too fast.

Equally important, Boston Bound has shown me what I learned the hard way in 2009. I was training to fast. My problem is that I was running too few miles in the past (typically in the upper 30's/low to mid 40's). But to compensate for fewer miles, I was running everything faster than I should. Long runs at 7:30 or faster. Speedwork at 6:00 pace.

In Boston Bound, my miles are averaging just north of 50 miles a week (last week I ran 65 miles), but my pace is much slower. My pace group is the 7:45 - 8:00 group (which means I run my long run at 7:45). My speedword is mostly at lactate threshold pace (or 6:30) with only a rare track work at VO2max (6:00). My base weekly miles are rarely faster than 7:00 (I'll run one midweek tempo run at marathon pace - 6:50) but most are around 7:15 or even 7:30. And I've been doing a 4 mile recovery run on Sundays at 12:30 pace -- running with my 9 year old (which has its own benefits beyond running!!)

As I've talked with other runners (those who have cracked the 3 hour barrier), they are amazed that I've been able to run marathons as fast as I have with such low mileage. I think the reason why I've always crashed at around mile 23 in the marathon (that is, my overall pace usually crosses above the 3 hour pace around then) is because I just never had enough miles in the tank. While I certainly think I can still tweak my fueling and hydrating techniques, it's all about miles. As the late Mike Broderick would say - the key to marathoning is miles -- lots of them, at slow pace. So mileage is way up and my overall pace is down. We'll see how that plays out...

Oh yeah, the other great benefit of Boston Bound is that Jordana and I now have another shared experience. While we're both runners (and both marathon runners at that), we've never trained the same. She's always done either Boston Bound in the spring (in 2009 and 2010) or XMP (experienced marathon program) in the fall (in 2010, 2009, 2008, and 2007). She would toss out phrases like the Leland Hills, the Bingham Box, the CCT, Mormon Temple hills, and these were just words that meant nothing to me other than places she and her friends had done. Now I understand what she means. Sort of like Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.

For her part, Jordana is seriously considering JFK 50 miler this fall and we're both planning on doing Rocketts Landing Olympic triathlon this July. Juliet on the balcony... (if you get Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra, you'll understand this as well)

It's also the end of the month, so I'll summarize my first two months of running in 2011. I ran 24 days in January for a total of 195.47 miles. I ran 22 days in February for a total of 207.03 miles. Total year to date mileage: 402.5 miles. Well well well on track to break 2000 miles this year.

Can't report as much for the other triathlon disciplines. I haven't so much as gotten on a bike since Naylor's Beach last September. I swam a bit in January, but took February off while Jordana was taking a coaching course. Resumed masters swim last Thursday (boy did my arm muscles ache). Once my spring marathons are over, I'll start swimming and biking with more discipline. Right now, I'm just enjoying running. Can you fault me?

So there you have it sports fans. 2011 is looking good. My mileage is way up and, knock on wood, everything feels fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment