Thursday, October 4, 2012

Crap! Crap! and Double Crap!!

Here is my Facebook blogpost from September 7:

When we last left off, I was about to see the orthopedist for a follow up visit on August 30.  He prescribed an MRI just to rule things out (like stress fracture or hernia).  So on the 31st, I slid myself back into the MRI canister for another 45 minutes of claustrophobic high magnetic field fun.
Yesterday the doctor called with the diagnosis:   bone edema in the tension side of the left femoral neck which he described a stress reaction (or pre-fracture, i.e., the stage just before a stress fracture) (the femoral neck is the base of the ball at the top of the femur).  Wait, there's more.  Bone edema in the pubic symphysis which is almost unchanged since my March 2010 MRI (i.e., original stress fracture never fully healed??)


Crap! Crap! and Double Crap!!


His recommenation (or rather order): no running for at least 4 weeks.  He said I was lucky. Had the femoral neck actually developed a stress fracture, I would have needed major surgery to correct it.  With a stress reaction, he thinks that just keeping away from impact sports for a time should allow for a complete recovery.


Anyhow, I have to wait until I go 14 days in a row with no pain when walking (so if I feel pain on day 11, the clock is reset to 0).  He estimated that it would take at least around 4 weeks until I was able to go that 14 days pain free.  What happens then?  I begin recovery.  The doctor did not go into details, but it sounded something like: go to the track and walk a lap and run a lap.  WTF?????


What can I do?  Swim and stationary bike.  So I guess it's back to the pool and trainer for me.  Oh well...


Needless to say no Parks Half Marathon on Sunday, no Richmond Rox half ironman on the 23rd, no Marine Corps Marathon in October, no Potomac River Run Marathon in November, no Seashore State Park 50K in December.


Crap!  Crap!  and Double Crap!!


Then comes the issue of why the hell is this happening?  I would have thought that after all the shit I had to endure in 2009/2010 I would get a break (well, not literally a "break").  To quote Travis "why does it always rain on me?"


On the one hand it could just be overuse on a pelvis that was never fully healed (but the doctor was not sure if the femoral injury was related to the pubic injury).  Or maybe, I have some deeper issue about not processing calcium that is making the bones more susceptible.  Who knows?  All I know is that it's back to the doctors to figure out what is going on and how I can prevent this from happening again.


Crap! Crap! and Double Crap!!

No comments:

Post a Comment