Thursday, May 6, 2010

Masters Swimming

After months of my wife suggesting I do masters swimming, I finally bit the bullet and gave it a try.  I figured, how hard could it be?  After all, I've been doing endurance swims of 1600m and 3200m for several months now.

Holy crap!  It kicked my jammer-clad butt!  It's one thing doing laps at cruising speed, but it's quite another to do speed work in the pool.

10 minutes warm up (about 10 laps).  Then 4 x 75m freestyle. Rest.  4 x 150m free, 4 x 100m free, 4 x 50m free.  Rest.  4 x 100m I.M., 4 x 75m free, 4 x 50m 2 breast/free, 4 x 25m free.  Rest.  8 x 50m kick.  Finish.  About 3500meters over about 1 1/2 hours.

Amazingly, my worst performance was doing kicks with the kickboard.  You would think that as a runner I would excel in this.  But I realized that most of my swimming is done with my upper body.  Perhaps this will serve me in good stead during the triathlons since I'm barely using my legs.

Anyhow, I think once a week speed work will be good for my swimming.

I can't wait until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment