Sunday, May 2, 2010

Training Update

Week 5 of my return to running and first week of adding a 4th day of running.  So instead of my usual 9.something mile weeks, I cleared 13.49 miles this week.  Yeehaw.  And to think I used to run that many miles in one long run.  My total mileage for the year stands at 60.96 miles --- less than I would run in two weeks.  Oh well.  No one said the road to recovery was easy.

Besides running, I walked 15 miles this week -- 3 miles on the Mall on Tue and Thur, 4 miles on the C&O Canal with my wife today.  Also, my wife is on a kick to walk a mile a day (in addition to all the miles she runs).  Usually, we walk as a family after dinner, so it's actually a fun way to be together (better than watching tv, playing the wii, or staring at the computer).  So that's a lot of walking.

Swam 1600 meters on Tuesday and 3200 meters yesterday.  Yesterday's swim was back in the Quantaroo wetsuit --- I'm definitely using that one.  I didn't feel like I was swimming that hard, but I did 3200 in 50:48 which is my fastest time by far (2.34 mph).  My fastest 50meter lap was 22 seconds, so I'm pretty pleased.  Of course, this is just pool swimming and I realize that open water presents totally different conditions.  Still, I am optimistic that I will due reasonably well at the Chesapeake Bay 1 mile Swim AND that I will do reasonably well on the swim portions of the triathlon.

Speaking of triathlons, I went out and got a bike trainer.  Went to Performance Bike Shop and bought an Ascent Fluid Trainer to begin getting into condition on the bike.  I figured between work and family, I really don't have the time to go out and ride.  The trainer should allow me to get the time I need on the bike at home -- either early in the AM or the late PM.  I know I will definitelyy use the trainer on Sunday mornings before my run (get at least one brick workout per week).  I'll let you know how it goes.

One last thought.  When my wife and I got to the canal today we saw what looked to be a water stop.  Then we remembered today was the Potomac River Run marathon -- 13.1 miles out and back on the canal.  We were there about 11:30 and we saw some of the back-of-the-pack runners.  Boy, what a hot and humid day to run a marathon. Yikes.  And to think, I was considering running this before I got injured.  The 2004 Boston might have been hot, but it was not humid.

1 comment:

  1. The marathon must have been brutal; I did a half yesterday and, despite the flat track, it was plenty tough itself. The Ethiopian marathon winner went to Carderock planning to run a half ... and stayed to put in a 2:35 and win by 16 minutes instead.

    ReplyDelete